Tuesday, October 7, 2008

What is different this time around?

I have been rattling an idea for a post around in my head for about a week now. I have been trying to figure out what was different now than 4 and 8 years ago. I sensed the McCain campaign was very frustrated by the fact they were playing the just like Bush had done in 2000 and 2004 but it wasn't working. Some of the thoughts I would contemplate were the seariousness of the times. Although in 2004 the Iraq war was on the center of our minds and still we (as a country) fell for the swift boating of an American war hero. Is it possible that the country is tired of it? How about the press are they handling it differently? I am not sure. Has the Obama camp been more effective in handling this type of politics?

I really hadn't decided on a reason but I was pretty certain something was different time around. The previous mo was the Bush camp or surrogate would throw someting out. The media would basically report the charge, not the validity of the charge. The cable news outlets would repeat it adinfinitum and it would seep into the American conscience.

It doesn't appear to be working so well for McCain.

I have come across a couple of post that attempts to dissect this question.

This piece is running over at the New York mag.

http://nymag.com/news/politics/powergrid/51016/index1.html

The gist of his argument is something I felt intuitively. The Sarah Palin picked was viewed sceptically enough on its own. When it was combined with the "suspension" it reinforced voters that yes in fact the pick was all about politically gimmickry. Once they were convinced Palin was a political gimmick they were certain the "suspension" nothing more than a political gimmick.
This combination truly cuts the "Country First" theme they had been hammering home.

Greg Sargent has a stab at it over at TPM.com

http://tpmelectioncentral.talkingpointsmemo.com/2008/10/why_did_mccain_lose_his_maveri.php

No comments: