Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Coming to Columbia,

As mentioned earlier in Catch Up http://mysteryj.blogspot.com/2008/10/catch-up.html on the conference call on Saturday Barack Obama stated he was probably coming to Missouri one more time this week. I laid out a good reason why he should consider Columbia. Although in the end I suspected it would be one of the Suburban counties of St. Louis or Kansas City.

I have been watching his public schedule since then. I just came across an announcement that he is in fact coming to Columbia. Once again I think this is a great place to visit. Columbia is a strong hold for Obama here in the middle of rural Missouri. We have a large college University of Missouri with nearly 30,000 students. There are signs of many of the rural Democrats coming home and strengthening their support of Obama.

The event will be held on the Quad of the campus at 7:30pm. I don't know yet if I will be needed to volunteer for the event. I will be going in later this morning to find out what has to happen. If Obama can drive up his numbers here in Columbia and give any kind of boost to his support in the rural areas he will definitely increase the likelihood that his margins in the St. Louis and Kansas City will be enough to carry the state.

I just came back from a few hours at the office. It dawned on me shortly after I posted the above what the impact would be on the local operation.

First while we were are hurtling full speed ahead toward fine tuning and executing our Get Out the Vote operation attention needs to be split off to field the operation of hosting a major event.
This now needs to be done simultaneously. The other side of the coin is that this is bringing out a large number of volunteers to field these operations. Since this ground team started forming in late summer there is already a base of volunteers that fall into leadership roles. Now the team to leader can grow exponentially. Of course most of the people coming in and calling in are going to be interested in working the Obama event. Once they are in for that it is a lot easier to convince them to go ahead and commit to the weekend and Election day operation.

1 comment:

eric said...

Sounds like a crazy time there. I wish I were around to help there! We are pretty much 100% going Obama here, so nothing much to do from here out.

Good luck with whatever job you end up doing. Hope you get to at least go to the event!