Tuesday, February 9, 2010

A little help please

Someone correct me if I am wrong in my understanding and this is highly simplified.


We had a decade of watered down regulation and wall street risk taking. The financial system reaches the edge of collapse. The Bush administration reacts (in a way that would not have been their preference, however, they had little choice) Obama comes into power and administers the TARP programs of the Bush Administration. Wall Street continues to make stupid decisions regarding compensation.

Tea partiers get pissed. They want to punish Obama for? What exactly?



When I ask for someone to explain to me, I really mean it. I am truly trying to figure this out. When I attempt to wrap my head around this I keep hitting a road block.

I understand historically there tends to be great amount of anger during times of economic distress and change. I looked up the current unemployment numbers for insight.

by race

Blacks 16.5%
Hispanics 12.5%

Whites 8.7%

By age

Adult Men 10.%
Adult Women 7.9%

Teens 26.4%

According to the numbers above their is pain across the board but the hardest hit by far are young people of color. Neither of those groups seems to be represented by the Tea hater movement.

The other shoe is change. The very thing that Obama campaigned on. Could it be these people are really scared of or pissed about things changing and they can not control it anymore. I keep coming back to this. While I keep hearing it's not just the democrats it's both parties. However, this is then usually followed by a litany of right wing talking points. I really don't want to believe that what we are witnessing is simply a bunch of scared and angry old people resisting change and trying to fight for the "good ole" days finding an easy target in the first black President. I have to admit, when I was younger I didn't expect to see a black President this young in my life.

I don't want to water it down to simple transference of anger to the first black President. However, the more the tea haters talk the fewer options are left.

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

No comments: