Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Quick thoughts on last night

I sensed a disconnect between the talking heads and the people in America last night. Another explanation could be generational.

What I am speaking to regards what was considered the highlight of the night last evening. I was extremely touched by the presence of Senator Kennedy and I refer to his presence on the stage, in the room, and in the hearts and mines of people. It was a wonderful moment and one that had to be uplifting for the man and the party.

The professionals and the pundits were evidently moved by this moment. For myself and I sense for many many people at home watching last nights events, Michelle's speech was as moving if not more so. I freely admit this could be simply the result of my personal perspective.

I have always admired the intensity and passion that Michelle brings to her words. These words thread through the narrative in a way that touched the every day lives of millions of Americans. She reached out to single moms, new dads, grandparents, and little kids. This narrative reinforced the idea and the fact that we are in this together. This narrative spoke to the need to come together as Americans to fix what we see as broken. She spoke to the ability that when united we can and have a responsibility to fight for a new direction and a better tommorrow for our children and our selves.

Of course the punditry spoke to the fact that she was able to rehabilitate herself, reintroduce herself and make amends. This is complete and utter BULLSHIT. It is bull that she would have to. It is bull that the press went along pushing this conecpt. It is bull that the press allowed and even the campaign allowed that this narrative to take hold. It is complete bull that the republicans pushed the concept that this woman was some how less american than anyone that is going to be in the convention hall next week in Minnesota.

So the reviews came in and they were pretty much the same across the board. Good speech she did what she had to do. She did what she had to do? What the ....? Is it possible somehow the bar was allowed to be set too high. I have to be honest it was the second best convention speech I can remember.

Good speech, but real highlight was Kennedy's speech.

I wish to take absolutely nothing away from Senator Kennedy especially considering his courage and conviction to make his apperance possible. Again maybe this is generational, maybe it didn't touch me as much because I wasn't in the room at the time. I just sense that the punditry is out of touch with those of us sitting at home.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I only caught parts here and there of her speech. I didn't watch the whole thing, but what I did hear was pretty good. It really was no different for me though than any other time she has spoken. To me, she has always been a great speaker and a great surrogate for her husband.

For one reason or another, over the past few months the press has seemed to slowly tear her down. I don't think her speech last night did a whole lot to influence those of us who always held her in high regard, but the fluctuation of media coverage needed their down and then up again, and I suppose they got it.