Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Next Chapter

Have had a busy day today. This is the little man's last day before school starts. We kept busy with pretty much what ever he wanted. I have had the good fortune to have been a stay at home dad. The blessing is not lost on me. I think I am especially appreciative due to the fact that there was a year and half duration that I worked outside the house. This was a good thing as it exposed little man to some one other than myself and provided him with the socialization opportunities. In addition from my perspective it helped solidify why the time was important to him, my wife, and myself.

Having experienced both sides of this situation I am extremely grateful that it worked out for us as well as it did. I have an appreciation for the families who can not / do not have this opportunity. Not to mention the single parent families.

Tomorrow comes with excitement for the continuing chapters in his life and our life. The question of what are you going to do now comes up. The only answer at this time is to keep doing what we've been doing. I will need to become more disciplined at keeping productive. Reflecting on the year and half that we both worked brings a number of things to the front. How does one deal with the number of days off from school, sick days, Dr. appointments, my wife's traveling with work. A part time job could be do doable, however, I would probably be pretty demanding regarding scheduling.

This blog is probably a piece of the answer to the question above. Looking at a number of volunteer opportunities as well. Of course there will be a large chunk of time assisting his teacher and the school. It is interesting, I have stated a number of times that after becoming a father my focus on politics has been from the perspective of my son. Tonight's reflection kind of ties it all together. At once it is a reminder of the important things in life; being a good father, a good husband, setting a strong example for my son, assisting my parents as needed. Then on the other hand it reminds me of why I care about our political future, our political process and how it effects people on a street level sense.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

As you take this time to reflect on what you should be doing with your time . . . don't forget to pick Jacob up from school ON TIME. There are only so many days that he can survive the trauma of being left by the curb. :-) Don't worry, we'll let you live the first day of Kindergarten drama down in about 8 years. After living in Seattle for so long, I don't see the rain as a very good excuse for tormenting your son on the first day of school.

We are really looking forward to seeing you guys in September.

MysteryJ said...

I find this line of criticism totally our of line. If it continues I will have to revoke your posting priviledges!!!!

Unknown said...

Well don't revoke mine, it was Allison's comment! Im going to have to get her a separate account!

et