Thursday, June 2, 2011

Election Perspective

I wanted to get this down somewhere and felt if I tweet it some might find it offensive.

I have for awhile now said Huntsman is the GOP candidate that I think has the best chance of truly challenging Obama. His recent showing in a PPP poll of Iowa shows the major hurdle he has in front of him. PPP only found one Republican voter in Iowa that supported him as their first choice.

I have also been keeping an eye on Herman Cain for a few months. I first heard about him on the net somewhere writing a poem about Jesus. Then about a month ago when reading through the comment section of a story on the GOP hopefuls, it clicked.

This particular commenter said he was supporting Cain, because Cain would split the black vote and win the Republican vote ensuring a path to the Whitehouse. I initially dismissed that as simplistic thinking along the lines that Palin would split the women vote.

Cain did not embarrass himself in the first televised debate about a month back. He has seen his popularity within the GOP base increase of late. I just saw an article that said Herman Cain's candidacy proves that the tea party isn't racist. Hmmm. I am not trying accuse anyone of anything. That logic does sound an awful lot like "I am not racist, some of my best friends are black". Substitute candidates for friends.

My only point at this time is,I expect Mr. Cain to gain some more serious traction in the near future within the Tea Party segment of the Republican party. If Palin doesn't run (which I have serious doubts that she will) a sizable portion of her base could follow Mr. Cain.

No comments: