Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Recurring Themes: Paul Krugman gets it

I have the theme several times here that many people on both the left and the right are constantly surprised when President Obama keeps his promises. It is the left's turn to get hyperbolic about President Obama delivering a health care reform pretty similiar to what he had promised. Paul Krugman calls out the left in his most recent column.

But that says more about the complainers than it does about Obama himself. If you actually paid attention to the substance of what he was saying during the primary, you realized that

... what you’re getting is what you should have seen


On the specific matter of this Health Care Bill, the more I read the complaints from the left (which I consider myself) the more delusional I think many of them may be. I would have liked to have gotten a better policy. You gotta ask what could have been done different. When it comes down to it there was no leverage on Lieberman. Krugman addresses as well.

But on health care, I don’t see how he could have gotten much more. How could he have made Joe Lieberman less, um, Liebermanish? And I have to say that much as I disagree with Ben Nelson about many things, he has seemed refreshingly honest, at least in the final stages, about what he will and won’t accept. Meanwhile the fact is that Republicans have formed a solid bloc of opposition to Obama’s ability to do, well, anything.

No comments: