Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Pragmatic Progressive (What does it all Mean)




David Kurtz over at TPM discusses today's press conference. I believe it would do disappointed liberals good to watch. It may not make them feel any better about the deal. I do think it will illustrate the origin of the deal from President Obama's perspective.

I wrote a few post back I wrote "Disconnect"
I believe he has a vision of the way he would like things to be and a vision of what is possible for things to be. He fights for what he thinks he can achieve instead of spending too much energy on reaching for the stretch goals. This particular aspect is infuriating to many on the left. I understand why and I would hope that many of those on the left would attempt to appreciate the reality we are in instead of the ideal we dream of.
David Kurtz says much the same following the press conference today:
Today, he very clearly and loudly said: that savior persona is not me. I am the pragmatist. And you know what, I don't have a whole lot of patience for the idealists. I share their ideals, but I don't share their approach and I'm not going to get bogged down in recriminations over not living up to some abstract ideal.

President Obama wrote that he was a blank canvass that many people would cast their ideals of what / who was upon and he would disappoint a number of people.  I believe this what is happening in large part.  I feel that this is about what I expected.

That does not make me like this deal any better.  I once wrote that I am a pragmatic progressive and I believe this is a test of philosophy.

No comments: