Monday, December 6, 2010

My hometown of Bars and Churches

One of my favorite reading spots on the web is Daily Dish They discuss a number of various important political and social topics. In addition there are a number of diversionary discussions as well. Of late there has been an ongoing conversation regarding corner pubs in America or the lack there of. Andrew Sullivan asks in a nostalgic look back to his birth place of England. He doesn't find the corner pub or it's culture here in America.

I have to say I was a bit dumbfounded by such a thought. This definitely was not my experience. Just this morning a graphic was produced that explains the disconnect with Mr. Sullivan's US experience on the East coast and in DC compared my experience growing up in the Middle of Midwest. A close examination of this maps shows I grew up in an area with more bars than grocery stores. It actually seems insane to compare the two as it's not even close in Quincy. Take a moment a read a few of the comments they hold as true to Quincy as they are for Wisconsin.

The red dots indicate areas with more Bars and the yellow dots areas with more grocery stores. compare.

No comments: