Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Turn the corner

I am just going to lay out a theory I have. 

Nov 2nd 2010 is when it all changed.

For the past couple of years people have been scared, divided, broke, unemployed, uncertain.  This has manifested itself in tea parties, econcomic contraction, partisan divide and gridlock.  We yelled at each other during the health care debate, yelled at each other during the campaign.  Then we voted.  It was a big cathartic convulsion. 

Compare it to a fever breaking, you build up to heavy sweats and then it's all gone.  Now, I don't suggest it is all gone, but I do believe people are ready to turn the corner. They are tired of being concerned, afraid, paranoid.  America for the most part wants to get on with it's life.  I think youl'll see the extremes settlle down, people will return to the malls, and the conversation return to more mundane items.  Two areas I think we can look at to see if this is correct are shopping figures for this Christmas and Obama's approval ratings.  I have learned you can't look at any one day of shopping to figure out how the season will go, you have to wait for the post mortem.  Regarding Obama's numbers, according to RealClearPolitics.com just before the election he had a 45 - 51 approval rating = -6  as of today he is 46 - 48 = -2 that is ok swing for 3 weeks, again we will have to wait to see how it plays out. 

All in all, I think people are just ready to have Happy Holiday season. 

No comments: